The Government recently announced changes to the 457 visa program (view the Prime Minister’s announcement via Facebook). Please see below a summary of the changes:
- The Government is abolishing 457 visas
- Anyone now in Australia on a 457 visa will not be affected by the new arrangements, and will continue under the system of the current program
- The new program includes two visa classes, a short term two-year stream which has a reduced list of applicable occupations
- The second is a long-term skills gaps stream which will have a four-year limit and require a higher standard of English than the first stream. In the majority of cases, this stream will also attract mandatory labour market testing
- Both streams will require prior work experience, and a criminal record check.
Please contact VTIC Policy Manager, Kristina Burke via email: firstname.lastname@example.org if your business is impacted by the changes.
Read the Australian Chamber of Commerce and Industry’s media release for more information >>