- Based at Healesville Sanctuary
- Ongoing Full-Time Position
- Salary from $123,164 p.a + 9.5% superannuation
Zoos Victoria operates world-class zoos on three sites: Melbourne Zoo, Healesville Sanctuary and Werribee Open Range Zoo. Our Moral Purpose is – Fighting Extinction and creating a future rich in wildlife. Our vision is to be a world leading zoo-based conservation organisation, working locally and globally to deliver tangible conservation outcomes.
Healesville Sanctuary has an exciting opportunity for a highly motivated, confident and enthusiastic General Manager – Operations to join the senior management team. The General Manager Operations is a key senior management position at Healesville Sanctuary [HS] that reports to the Sanctuary’s Director. Along with the other members of the Senior Management Team, the General Manager Operations manages the Sanctuary to ensure the safety and welfare of staff, animals, volunteers and visitors while achieving our visitor and wildlife conservation programs.
The key requirements of the role include:
- Oversee the management of all infrastructure, fleet, plant, sustainability and horticulture at the Sanctuary, and delivers a range of capital works projects.
- Play a lead role in the presentation of the Sanctuary’s grounds, the maintenance of its assets, risk management, OH&S and environmental issues.
- Manage the three Operations teams; Works, Horticulture and Sustainability. Also integrating a fluctuating number of contractors and outsourced project managers.
- Play a strong role in the management of the 145Ha Coranderrk Bushland Nature Reserve which adjoins the Sanctuary.
- Demonstrate leadership competencies and behaviors and act as a role model for all managers and staff.
- Ensures effective maintenance of facilities including landscape and the delivery of works across the property.
- Develop and implement asset management plans, including preventative maintenance plans.
- Ensures the physical facilities are developed and maintained efficiently and effectively in accordance with corporate policies and best sustainable management practice.
- Develop and implement departmental budgets based upon projected expenditure and which meet financial sustainability targets.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Experience in asset management who is competent, enthusiastic, innovative and outcomes focused leadership will gain the trust and commitment of the teams.
- Extensive experience in planning and delivering a wide range of capital works projects.
- Demonstrated experience in developing and delivering asset management frameworks for a diverse suite of assets, preferably in the tourism industry or a facility catering for high numbers of visitors.
- Demonstrated knowledge of building construction standards, safety and maintenance requirements.
- Demonstrated achievement in managing grounds, facilities and external services to a very high standard.Experienced in applying environmental management and sustainability principles.
- Demonstrated knowledge and expertise on water and waste management issues.
- Demonstrated experience in site budgeting development including management and reporting.
- Extensive staff management experience and skills in senior leadership and development of reporting team members.
- Experience in the writing and management of contracts.
- Knowledge of public sector processes and standards in the areas of purchasing, supply and risk management.
Other requirements include:
- Immunisations as required or willing to undertake immunisation.
- A current driver’s license that is recognised in Victoria
- An Employee status Working with Children Check for all external candidates.
- Willing to undergo a National Police Check.
To apply for this position, please submit a cover letter and resume through the Zoos Victoria careers page by visiting https://www.zoo.org.au/about-us/careers/
For more information on this role, please contact Ross Williamson on 03 5957 2801 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications close COB 28th October 2020.