Visit Victoria’s prime objective is to build Victoria into Australia’s number one tourism destination by delivering strong and sustainable growth across the sector.
The business operates in a collaborative and agile environment that informs, connects and partners with industry and the Victorian State Government to amplify Victoria’s brand in domestic and international markets.
The Head of Event Acquisitions Creative Industries attracts and develops creative industries events that assist in creating a world class major events calendar to contribute to the growth of Victoria’s visitor economy.
- Provide effective leadership to the Creative Industries Acquisitions team in line with Visit Victoria’s Leadership Competencies.
- Develop business cases for Visit Victoria and ultimately Government consideration and approval, including the commissioning of research, preparing bid submissions and presentations, leveraging sponsorships and advising on media and marketing strategies, reviewing budgets, reviewing marketing and operational event plans, managing supplier’s contracts and deliverables.
- Drive the bid process for major events including high level negotiation with senior stakeholders and development of bid strategies and collateral.
- Drive contract negotiations and procurement processes for major events to ensure best value for Victoria including assessing the financial viability of each bid, by developing an understanding of event budget and evaluating the projected return of investment to the state.
- Maintain strong stakeholder relationships throughout the life cycle of the event to maximise commercial return and value for the state and to identify possible new opportunities to build a world class annual major events calendar for the state.
- Work collaboratively within project teams across the Major Events business unit and Visit Victoria to deliver positive major event outcomes.
- Expert industry knowledge of major events in the Culinary and Creative Industries Sectors, and existing senior level stakeholder relationships in this industry.
- Proven strategic and project management skills of major events and related projects in Creative Industries sectors.
- Demonstrated high level written and verbal communication skills including experience in negotiating with GM, CEO and board level stakeholders and exposure working with Government bodies.
- Experience in the development of business cases including the commissioning of research, preparing bid submissions and presentations, leveraging sponsorships and advising on media and marketing strategies, reviewing budgets, reviewing marketing and operational event plans, managing supplier’s contracts and deliverables.
- Extensive experience producing written communications, including bids, tenders, funding submissions, business plans, strategic documents and official written communication.
- Relevant experience in one or more aspects of event management, ideally within sponsorship, commercial, sales, marketing, communications, operations or bids & tenders.
- Experience in managing, leading and developing teams of people to achieve positive outcomes.
- Tertiary Qualification in any of the following: Business, event management, project management or any other relevant field.
Position specific requirements
- Drivers licence
- This position has a requirement to work out of hours, and it will involve evening or weekend work including occasional overnight travel.